American Express in the Netherlands: A Complete Review
American Express, the renowned credit card brand, offers its services in the Netherlands with a blend of advantages and limitations. Here’s an in-depth review based on my experiences:
Read also our Visa & Mastercard Reviews!
1. Acceptance: ★★☆☆☆ One of the prominent drawbacks of using American Express in the Netherlands is its limited acceptance. While most upscale restaurants and hotels readily embrace this card, the scenario drastically changes when it comes to everyday shopping. Many local stores and online platforms prefer more widely accepted options like Visa or Mastercard.
2. Supermarket Accessibility: ★★★☆☆ A notable exception in the Dutch retail landscape is Aldi, where American Express is surprisingly accepted. However, this is a singular case, and patrons of other supermarket chains might find themselves reaching for alternative payment methods.
3. International Travel: ★★★★☆ For globetrotters, American Express proves to be a valuable companion. The card enjoys extensive acceptance in international restaurants, hotels, and travel agencies. It is especially beneficial for those frequently embarking on business trips or exploring popular tourist destinations.
4. Online Transactions: ★★☆☆☆ When it comes to online shopping, the utility of an American Express card in the Netherlands diminishes. Many e-commerce platforms prioritize Visa and Mastercard, leaving American Express users with fewer choices and sometimes encountering inconvenience during online transactions.
5. Customer Service: ★★★★☆ American Express shines in the realm of customer service. Their support is prompt, efficient, and accommodating. Whether addressing concerns about transactions or providing assistance during travel, the customer service experience is commendable.
6. Annual Fees and Rewards: ★★★★☆ The annual fees associated with American Express cards can be on the higher side, but the rewards and benefits often compensate for this. Cashback, airline miles, and other perks can make the card financially rewarding for those who maximize its features.
Is your American Express (Amex) card accepted in the Netherlands?
The answer is yes, but let’s go into the details.
While Mastercard and Visa Credit Cards remain the popular choices for most transactions in the Netherlands, the presence of American Express has been steadily growing. More and more Dutch citizens are opting for American Express credit cards, though it’s important to note that they aren’t universally accepted throughout the country.
American Express, or AMEX, provides a range of charge cards in the Netherlands, including standard American Express cards, Flying Blue cards, and Business cards. The options within these categories vary, offering choices like the Amex Blue/Entry Card, American Express Green Card, American Express Gold Card, and the prestigious American Express Platinum Card. Each card comes with its own set of costs, conditions, and features.
Using an American Express card in the Netherlands follows a process similar to a regular debit card. The bank or credit card company covers the initial payment, and at the end of the month, they send an account statement detailing all credit card expenses. Unlike some credit cards in the Netherlands, American Express exclusively offers charge cards. This means that payments are not immediately debited from your bank account, and repayment occurs later, potentially in installments.
However, it’s crucial to note that with American Express charge cards in the Netherlands, paying in installments is not an option. The full amount for the previous period must be settled, encompassing all credit card charges for that specific month. Unlike other credit cards in the country, American Express charge cards do not allow carrying over a portion of your credit card debt to the following month.
Which of the American Express Credit Cards are available in the Netherlands?
American Express in the Netherlands offers a mixed bag of advantages and drawbacks. While its international acceptance and robust rewards program make it attractive for frequent travelers and upscale experiences, the limited acceptance in local establishments and certain online platforms may pose challenges for everyday use. It’s crucial for potential users to weigh their spending habits and priorities against the card’s features to determine if it aligns with their financial needs.
Read more about Credit Cards in the Netherlands. Understand also the rules of engagement.